Dr. Dirk Thomas
Department of Aeronautical and Vehicle Engineering
Division of Rail Vehicles
Royal Institute of Technology
SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
- Doctoral studies, Railway Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, 2009-2014.
- Licentiate of Technology in Railway Technology with focus on crosswind stability of high-speed trains, Royal Institute of Technology, 2009.
- Diplom-Ingenieur, Mechanical Engineering, Darmstadt University of Technology, 2006.
I’m working within the project . Here I’m focusing on the stability and dynamics of rail vehicles due to unsteady crosswinds. The project is part of the Vinnova Excellence Centre for
Journals and conferences
- Thomas D, Berg M, Stichel S and Diedrichs B: Rail Vehicle Response to Lateral Carbody Excitations Imitating Crosswind. Accepted for publication Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, June 2013.
- Haigermoser A, Bezin Y, Coudert F, Eickhoff B, Grabner G, Kraft S, Thomas D and Zacher M: On the influence of track geometry quality on the running characteristics of the vehicles – results from the EC-funded research project DYNOTRAIN. ZEVrail 137, Tagungsband SFT Graz 2013, pp. 159-171, 2013.
- Thomas D, Berg M, Diedrichs B and Stichel S: Rail Vehicle Response to Lateral Carbody Excitations Imitating Crosswind, Proceedings of the 22nd International Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, IAVSD'11, Manchester, 14-19 August 2011.
- Thomas D, Diedrichs B, Berg M and Stichel S: Dynamics of a High-Speed Rail Vehicle Negotiating Curves at Unsteady Crosswind, Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 224, No. F6, pp. 567-579, November 2010.
- Thomas D, Berg M and Stichel S: Measurements and Simulations of Rail Vehicle Dynamics with Respect to Overturning Risk, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 97-112, January 2010.
- Thomas D, Diedrichs B, Berg M and Stichel S: Dynamics of a High-Speed Rail Vehicle Negotiating Curves at Unsteady Crosswind, Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, IAVSD'09, Stockholm, 17-21 August 2009.
- Thomas D and Berg M: Measurements and Simulations of Rail Vehicle Dynamics with Respect to Overturning Risk, Proceedings of the 21st International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, ICTAM 2008, Adelaide, 24-30 August 2008.
- Thomas D and Berg M: Measurements and Simulations of Lateral Rail Vehicle Dynamics with Large Suspension Deflections, 15th Nordic Seminar on Railway Technology, Hook, Sweden, 22-23 May 2008.
- Thomas D: Lateral Stability of High-Speed Trains at Unsteady Crosswind, Licentiate Thesis, TRITA AVE 2009:79, ISBN 978-91-7415-473-3, Stockholm, Sweden, 2009.
- Favre T and Thomas D: Transient Crosswind Stability of Vehicles – A Literature Survey, Report TRITA AVE 2007:60, Centre for ECO² Vehicle Design, KTH, 2007.
- Thomas D: Introduction of Semiactive or Active Lateral Suspension in the Regina Train, Diploma thesis in collaboration with Bombardier Transportation, Institute for System Reliability and Machine Acoustics, Darmstadt University of Technology, 2006.
- Thomas D: Development and Verification of a Dynamic Multibody Simulation Model for a Freight Wagon with Powell Duffryn TF25SA Running Gear, Master’s Degree Project, Railway Technology, KTH, TRITA AVE 2003:19, ISRN KTH/AVE/RTM-03/19-SE, Stockholm, Sweden, 2003.