Modelling of rail vehicle dynamics
Sources of funding
- Bombardier Transportation
- SL AB
- Interfleet Technology
This project aimed at developing improved mathematical models for analysing the vehicle-track dynamics interaction. The work was focused on wheelset structural flexibility and track flexibility, and in particular with respect to wheel-rail forces up to say 200 Hz. Simulated results were compared with measured ones, both on component level and on the global vehicle-track level.
Two case studies were selected for the studies: An Rc locomotive and the Green Train running on two different straight tracks. Track flexibility was measured at both sites and the wheelset structural flexibility was measured in laboratory. It is concluded that both types of flexibility have a significant influence on the vehicle-track dynamics and should be properly modelled and included in vehicle-track interaction simulations.
- Chaar N and Berg M: Dynamic wheel-rail force measurements and simulations of a high-speed train running on two tracks with different flexibility and irregularities. Submitted for publication.
- Chaar N: Wheelset structural flexibility and track flexibility in vehicle-track Interaction. Doctoral Thesis, Report TRITA AVE 2007:17, ISBN 978-91-7178-636-4, KTH Rail Vehicles, 2007.
- Chaar N and Berg M: Simulation of vehicle-track interaction with flexible wheelsets, moving track models and field tests. Proceedings of the 19th IAVSD Symposium on dynamics of vehicles on roads and on tracks, Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement, 44 (2006), pp. 921-931.
- Polach O, Berg M and Iwnicki S: Simulation. Chapter 12 in Handbook of Railway Vehicle Dynamics, Taylor & Francis, 2006.
- Claesson S: Modelling of track flexibility for rail vehicle dynamics simulation. Master Thesis, Report TRITA AVE 2005:26, Division of Railway Technology, Department of Aeronautical and Vehicle Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, 2005.
- Chaar N and Berg M: Vehicle-track dynamic simulations of a locomotive considering wheelset structural flexibility and comparison with measurements. Proc IMechE Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 219, pp. 225-238, December 2005.
- Chaar N and Berg M: Experimental and numerical modal analyses of a loco wheelset, Proceedings of the 18th IAVSD Symposium on dynamics of vehicles on roads and on tracks. Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement, 41 (2004), pp. 597-606.