Collaboration In Research and development of new Curriculum In Sound and vibration (CIRCIS)
Sources of funding
- European Commission (FP6)
- SIDA (Swedish Research Link Programme)
This is a collaboration between two European universities – KTH and Loughborough University – and two Indian universities: Indian Institute of Technology in Delhi and in Roorkee.
The overall project goal is twofold: Curriculum development in sound and vibration, and research work on the influence of low-frequency vibrations on activity comfort while travelling by railway vehicles. An important project element was also student mobility (exchange).
The description and references below focus on the research part, for which extensive field and laboratory measurements have been carried out. For the latter part a test chamber was developed with a platform vibrating in different directions and on which seated test subjects are evaluated with respect to activity performance, for instance reading and writing/sketching.
- Bhiwapurkar M K, Saran V H, Harsha S P, Goel V K, Berg M and Mansfield N: Effect of magnitudes and directions (mono-axis and multi-axis) of whole body vibration exposures and subject postures on the sketching performance. Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 225, No. F1, pp. 71-83, January 2011.
- Bhiwapurkar M K, Singh G, Khare D, Saran V H, Goel V K, Berg M and Mansfield N: Evaluation of drawing ability while exposing to multi axis whole body random vibrations. 44th UK Conference proceedings on Human Response to Vibration, Loughborough, 7-9 September, 2009.
- Bhiwapurkar M K, Saran V H, Goel V K and Berg M: Influence of whole body random vibrations on reading activity. 44th UK Conference proceedings on Human Response to Vibration, Loughborough, 7-9 September, 2009.
- Bhiwapurkar M K, Singh G, Choudhary S, Saran V H, Goel V K and Berg M: Influence of whole body vibrations on sketching performance. Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, Stockholm, 17-21 August, 2009.
- Bhiwapurkar M K, Saran V H, Goel V K, Mansfield N and Berg M: Study of human comfort under thermal and vibratory environment using physiological indices. Presented at the 16th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Krakow, 5-9 July, 2009.
- Bhiwapurkar M K, Saran V H, Goel V K and Berg M: Influence of multi-axis random vibrations on reading activity. Presented at the 4th International Conference on Whole Body Vibration Injuries, Montreal, Canada, June 2-4, 2009.
- Khan S, Ulhas M and Goel V K: Synthesis of passby railway noise. Acoustics-08 Congress, Paris, June 29 - July 4, 2008.
- Harsha S P, Saran V H, Goel V K and Berg M: Nonlinear vibration signature analysis of rail bearing systems. 12th Nonlinear Vibration, Dynamics and Multi-body Systems, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg (USA), June 1-5, 2008.
- Narayanmoorthy R, Khan S, Berg M, Goel V K, Saran V H and Harsha S P: Determination of activity comfort in Swedish trains. Presented at the World Congress on Railway Research, Seoul, South Korea, May 2008.