SimERT – Simulation of Energy consumption and Running Time
Sources of funding
This project was partly based on measurements of running resistance of different passenger and freight trains. A software was developed to calculate train energy consumption and running time for selected trains and railway lines.
Emphasis has been put on driver style and how it can effect the energy consumption and running time; a number of different driver models have been formulated for that purpose promoting so-called eco driving.
The project has been integrated with the EU project Railenergy in the context of energy efficient timetabling.
- Lukaszewicz P: Running resistance and energy consumption of ore trains in Sweden. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit. Special Issue. Vol. 223, No. 2, pp. 189-197, 2009.
- Lukaszewicz P: Projekt SimERT- Fas 2, Sammanfattande slutrapport för perioden 2005-01--2008-12. Report TRITA AVE 2008:72, KTH Rail Vehicles, 2008.
- Lukaszewicz P: Methods and Models for Energy Efficient Driving - Algorithms. Railenergy deliverable NRG-KTH-D-2.3-005. June 2008.
- Lukaszewicz P: Energy Consumption of Future High Speed Trains. Estrategias de Ahorro y Eficiencia Energetica en el Transporte Ferroviario. (2nd Spanish Conference for Energy Efficiency in Railways). Sitges, Spain, 5-6 June 2008.
- Lukaszewicz P: Energy and Power Efficient Timetabling - Results from Information Search. Railenergy deliverable NRGKTH-D-2.3-001.003. December 2007.
- Lukaszewicz P: Running Resistance of Ore Trains in Sweden. High Tech in Heavy Haul. Proceedings of IHHA 2007, pp 111-120, Kiruna, Sweden, 2007. ISBN 978-91-633-0607-5.
- Lukaszewicz P: A simple method to determine train running resistance from full-scale measurements. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 221, No. 3, pp. 331-337, 2007.
- Lukaszewicz P: Running resistance - results and analysis of full-scale tests with passenger and freight trains in Sweden. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 221, No. 2, pp. 183-192, 2007.
- Lukaszewicz P: Impact of train model variables on simulated energy usage and journey time. Computers in Railways X. WIT Transactions on The Built Environment, Vol. 88, 2006. ISBN 1-84564-177-9.
- Andersson E and Lukaszewicz P: Energy consumption and related air pollution for Scandinavian electric passenger trains. Report TRITA AVE 2006:46, KTH Rail Vehicles, 2006.
- Lukaszewicz P: Energy Saving Driving Methods for Freight Trains. Computers in Railways IX. Advances in Transport Vol. 15. ISBN 1-85312-715-9. Presented in Dresden, Germany, 2004.
- Lukaszewicz P: SimERT Project - Simulation of Energy Usage and Running Time for Trains. 2nd UIC Energy Efficiency Conference, Paris, 4-5 February 2004.